About Harbor Island
Harbor Island is a SC barrier Island that has 2.5 miles of PRIVATE beach in pristine condition. It is perfect for children because the beach is large, clean and NEVER crowded. It is located within a gated community that has a beach & racquet club with an olympic size swimming pool, kiddie pool, volleyball court, tennis courts, basketball court, playground and fitness center.
Harbor Island is situated between Charleston and Savannah. Nearby, are Hunting Island State Park and only 15 miles away is Historic Beaufort, which offers ample shopping, dining, and numerous other activities.
The abundant wildlife at Harbor Island will not go unnoticed as it is part of the ACE Basin, which is the largest pristine estuarine preserve on the East Coast. The area is home for a variety of wildlife including dolphins, otters, deer, loggerhead turtles, alligators, eagles, ospreys, wood storks, and many other waterfowl and bird life, so don't forget your binoculars.
Things To Do
- The Harbor Island Beach & Racquet Club has bicycles available for rent. Harbor Island also has a local surf shop, Barefoot Bubbas, where you can find bike rentals, souvenirs and all of your beach needs.
- If you enjoy golf, there are many high quality courses to pick from in the Harbor Island area.
- If nature is what you want to experience, then schedule a kayak tour, explore the ACE Basin or visit Hunting Island State Park, which is located only a few miles from Harbor Island. At Hunting Island State Park you can climb to the top of the island's lighthouse to experience amazing views of the Atlantic ocean, fish or enjoy the view from the 1,120 foot long pier, go for a hike on a nature trail, or enjoy a marsh walk that takes you to a small island via a boardwalk.
- Maybe you're interested in visiting the locations where many popular movies have been filmed, including Forrest Gump, G.I. Jane, Forces of Nature, and many more. Beaufort Tours offers that as well as ghost tours.
- Or maybe you just want to take in the beauty and charm of Historic Beaufort by scheduling a horse drawn carriage tour, or by visiting the Waterfront Park where you will have numerous shopping and dining choices within walking distance.
- Here is Beaufort's own list of Things To Do!